The End of an Era

After over 6 years of intensive research and community development work in and around the Yachana Reserve, GVI Amazon is coming to a close. We have finished our final research project (look forward to our Road Effects paper, coming soon!) and are handing over the project to our partner, The Yachana Foundation. They will continue to maintain and monitor the reserve, using it as an hands-on science education center for students -- we're very excited to see what fabulous things this next generation of scientists find! For more detail on GVI Amazon's closure, and our accomplishments over the years, please read on...
GVI Amazon Closure Statement

Monday, January 25, 2010

First Time TEFL

I’d spent my night prior to TEFL envisioning hoards of unruly children running around the classroom pelting me with stationary whilst I desperately tried to recite my ‘ABCs' on the board. Not good.

Thankfully, as I braced myself to enter the school the following day, I could see my fears were unfounded. Rows of eager- albeit a little excited- faces stared up at us, and I relaxed.

Having crayons thrown in my face was looking less likely. We began going through numbers, greetings and feelings which to our delight was met with raised hands, enthusiastic repeating and lots of jumping around. We rounded off the lesson with a classic rendition of the ‘Hokey Cokey’ (I’m not exactly sure what we were teaching at that point, but it was all good fun!). I’m now looking forward to the next time already- maybe we’ll progress to the ‘Macarena’...

Laura Jones - GVI Amazon intern, January-June 2010



Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: